Easter is an event and a message that proclaims hope is alive. In one miraculous act, despair was transformed into hope. Hope for the Christian is not wishful thinking or blind optimism. Hope is a very present reality because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus overcame sin, defeated Satan, and conquered death. Hope is alive because the grave is empty! And because Jesus is still alive, so is our hope.
In the lead up to Easter this year, let’s share that hope with the world. We believe that our current circumstance provides us with an opportunity to present the good news of Jesus Christ in a new light. We’ve created a campaign that leverages the influence and reach of social media to find its way into the homes and hearts of perhaps hundreds. Join us and use the power of your story — answering the question, “How has Jesus given you hope?” — to point people to the source of hope this Easter. Here's how.
Sharing your story is a great way to get to know yourself, and give people permission to get to know you. Vulnerability is required, but it is the best way to get others to be vulnerable. When we hear the stories of others, we feel less alone in our own. Our stories create safe spaces for people to explore their deep questions and accept where God has them in this moment. Stories aren’t sugar coated, they aren’t full of anecdotes that make people feel your life was harder or holier than what was real, they are pictures of who you are and what God has done for you and in you. And in this season, we are going to tell our stories of hope to the world.
- Film your story answering the question, "How has Jesus given you hope?" and share on your social media between April 6 and 12
- Share via Facebook and Instagram “Stories”
- Use the hashtag #UnshakableHope
- Tag @newnorthchurch
- Don't forget to close your story with, "this is my story of #UnshakableHope!"
- Call/text 5 friends and ask them to do the same
- Keep it short!
- Build from a moment so you can tell a story
- If you need more help to frame it, here is a good way to think about it:
- My Beginning: (What were you like before you knew Jesus? What shaped you into that person?)
- This led to: (How did you feel about yourself because of those circumstances and what introduced you to Jesus?)
- But God: (How did God give you hope? How did He change your understanding of yourself?)
- What I hope for: (How have you experienced healing, and how are you still healing? What are you longing for or working toward?)
- My name is __________ and this is my story of unshakable hope.
- Film in portrait mode — align your phone vertically.
- Overall time — keep it to 1 to 2 minutes.
- Clean your lens — wipe down your phone camera before filming so there aren’t smudges interfering with seeing clearly.
- Look for great lighting
- In natural light — avoid backlighting. The main source of light should be facing you, not behind you. The best at home lighting spots are next to a window, but getting outside would be even better!
- In artificial light — avoid standing directly below an overhead light or anything else that creates hard shadows. Consider using a stand lamp several feet away for good indirect light.
- Speak clearly and loudly — more so than you think you should. Especially when outside or standing further away from the camera.
- Wear fresh clothing — while you don't need to be dressed up make sure your clothing is appropriate and free of any slogans or sayings that may be distracting or disrespectful.
- Quiet environment — try to film in a quiet area.
- Film at eye level — filming from above or below will make you seem diminished or imposing. Eye level communicates accessibility.
- Simple, clean backdrops are ideal — avoid distracting backgrounds or crowded spaces.
Thank you to RealityLA for the video guidelines!